 Trains / 14047
Re: Building contest / some words on 1000steine.de
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:22:59 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Richard Noeckel writes:
But also think about Rene's perspective. He must be getting a bit nervous
that he's not going to get very many entries as there haven't BEEN many yet.

Indeed!

And this is no small time contest! This is the richest fan sponsored contest
we've ever seen. It's richer than a lot of the contests that LEGO puts on!!!

http://www.creativity-contest.net/

I concur, a contest with this much ambition needs a flood of entries to
survive!

That is the reason, why I have tried to make some noise for the contest now and
then. I would invite everybody to publish some (small, fuzzy, less detailed)
teaser pictures. I think this my bring the message board to life for the next
month (the last month of the contest to bring in new entries).

But I'm bettin’ that about 10 ‘mega-entries’ (Huge displays) will
be released just before the closing date. I'm hoppin’ that we do see a wide
range of admission in each of the categories both large and small. I
honestly believe in what René is doing…and I do hope the endeavor is a great
success!

I could not agree more...

P.S. Just who runs 1000Steine?         www.1000steine.de/english.htm
Is it solely the property of René, or is Ben and a few others working with
him?

No: www.1000steine.de is a project by René (= Navigation). The 1000steine are
just the main-page of a few different basic offers:

- most important for us (German) fans might be the message forum and the
exchange boards. (Far more than 30000 messages within 12 month).

- there is a W-I-W database (who-is-who in the German AFOL community)

- there is a Lego-chatroom (in our evenings there are often 10 .. 20 people
chatting)

- there is a database for prices (at ebay.de) of used sets (lots of work for
updates!)

- there is a database with part reference (search function for German
descriptions of the elements.)

- there are galleries for lots of Lego-themes. The advantage against brickshelf
is the possibility to add text. Especially people without homepage do enter
there. (Additionally you can win prices and you can earn "studs" which can be
used like money for some of the shop areas of 1000steine.

- there is B-O-A Bulk-Offer-Auctions (a little comparable to brickbay) René
makes some money there by parting out sets (all other parts of 1000steine do
not make profit - there are just some adds to reduce the costs).

- there is a online shop area (supportet by a German toy shop) Nearly always
much chaeper than S@H.

- There is a quite new auction house (perfect support, + 100% free for buyers
and sellers), which has been invented since ebay is a snake pit with hundreds
of criminals. But ebay is not even willing to throw people out, who
definitely use phantom bidders all the time. (At ebay phantoms rise the prices
and the ebay-fees, so they seem to be accepted as they increase the profit of
ebay. In my eyes this is stupid, because lots of people avoid ebay because of
this fact, which decreases their profit in the end.) :-(

So in conclusion I will use this message to say once more "THANK YOU!" to René,
who made (and still makes) a great job with the 1000steine!

Leg Godt!

Ben

P.s.: this contest is of course not planned by René to get rid of the great
prizes he offers, but it is meant to cause lots of publicity for 1000steine.de.
More visitors mean (a little) more money from add banners and more (+
higher) bids on BOA items. Under this aspect the contest is no success so far.
And there are still thousands of people who have never heard of the contest so
far. I think the best think to happen are a few "wow" entries for the
contest during the next days. These will be noticed within lugnet and
1000steine and make people look at the contest sites. But it has to happen as
soon as possible, because only this gives people the chance to sign in in time.