 Trains / 14018
Re: Finally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 20:49:02 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Michael Lachmann writes:
James,

I'm interested in what equipment (parts) you used for DCC. What decoder have
you used and how to you drive it.
Maybe you could add some sources and prices of this parts - just to get an
idea.

Thanks,
Michael

I know that some of what you are looking for has been posted, but to repeat:

I'm using Digitrax (http://www.digitrax.com) equipment.  They have dealers in a
bunch of places (listed on their web page).  I've been dealing with Terry, at
Pacific Scale Rail (Victoria) for bits, and paid:
$625 for Empire Builder II starter set
$40 for each DN121 decoder
(Canadian, YMMV)

I've got 8 motors converted to DCC so far, I would have a few more but the
decoders are somewhat hard to get (they sell rather fast...)  I still have 12
more motors to convert.

I have a couple questions regarding the decoders... Manly in regards to
the 'Functions' available. I understand that you have a break van setup
that uses these functions? What decoder did you use in that model?

Is the DN121 only lights with no functions? (This is unclear on their
web site) I want to get into DCC with some simple converted motors,
(Just the motor and the standard light AUX output) and a couple of
special models with 5 total functions (Including directional lighting)
[It could be trimmed to 4 functions. Leaving out the cab interior
lighting ;-)]

Looking at the DN and DH series decoders it seems that the DN are 'less
featured' but smaller versions of the DH versions?

Thanks for your wealth of knowledge!

Dean
--
Dean Husby