 Trains / 14027
Re: Finally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 18:17:32 GMT

James Powell wrote:

From what I've read on the digitraxx web site the DN121's lights are NOT
controllable. They just come on when the train moves and does auto
directioning.

Nope.  You can turn the output on/off, but which one of the 2 is selected is
dependant on direction (you have 2 discrete outputs, but can only get them
on when the motor is going in the right direction, and then you action F0).
So, the brakes are kind of useless if you are going "uphill"...because you have
to go to "downhill" (not any speed, just "downhill") and turn on F0.  To take
them off, I have to have the train in "uphill"...

That's good! For a while there I thought I had no control over my
lights. But of course no modeler would put up with that!

That sounds scary... Damn... I wonder what the largest decoder would be
that would fit in the motor before you have bring the whole mess
external. (Like my Mindstorms Train Motor)

I think that DN-121 is about as big as you can cram into the motor.  DH142's
_won't_ fit internallly.

Yes. But, from what I can glean from the web site, the DN142 is the same
size so it will work.

I was laying awake last night wondering what 125ma would power when I
suddenly released that it should power a relay. Can you take power
directly from the track, run it though a AC~DC converter and use that to
power motors? (I'd run it though a 9 volt power reg package too)

If you made a pair of limit switches you could have a device come on and
move and then stop when it hits the limit switch and stay there. Then
when the function is recalled the relay shutdown and switch the
polarity. This would make the motor go in the other direction until it
hit the second limit switch then stop.  This would be the best option
with no stalling or other pain.

From what I've read on the site (and it's not totally consistent) that
the DN121's are STD*'s that don't have any controls for the lighting.
You have to go to the DN142 or DH series.

You can turn them on/off, but not directly control which one is on (done on
basis of which way the motor is running)

Sorry to repeat myself there.

Dean
--
Dean Husby