 Trains / 13940
Re: Finally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 05:57:43 GMT

James,

I'm interested in what equipment (parts) you used for DCC. What decoder have
you used and how to you drive it.
Maybe you could add some sources and prices of this parts - just to get an
idea.

Thanks,
  Michael

"James Powell" <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
I've actually completed the joining loop on my new fixed layout. Something • in
excess of 300 straight track, 1 3/4 circles+, 2 switches, 47" vertical, 5 • holes
in walls later, I can get trains from the lower level to the upper level.

Max load appears to be 4.5 cars/motor (9 cars in front of a two motor • engine).
This is better than it was in NFLD, where I needed 3 motors to move the • same
train.

Other discoveries- DCC has a _serious_ disadvantage- when you shut off the
power, the motor "floats", rather than "brakes" in RCX styling...this • means,
that a lightweight train is going to be enough to push a DCC equipped • motor
downhill without difficulty.  Fortunately, I discovered this with a • lightweight
train early on...not with a full train at the 1/2 way point, past my arms
reach!!!

The brakevan helps a lot with this problem...also, dirty track (like • _really_
dirty track) doesn't get along well with DCC...

Photos eventually...when I take some, and get them developed

James P