 Trains / 14022
Re: Finally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2001 05:26:04 GMT

I have a couple questions regarding the decoders... Manly in regards to
the 'Functions' available. I understand that you have a break van setup
that uses these functions? What decoder did you use in that model?

DN121's.

Is the DN121 only lights with no functions? (This is unclear on their
web site) I want to get into DCC with some simple converted motors,
(Just the motor and the standard light AUX output) and a couple of
special models with 5 total functions (Including directional lighting)
[It could be trimmed to 4 functions. Leaving out the cab interior
lighting ;-)]

I'm using the light outputs as functions.  I'm _not_ going to come out and say
that it is a good idea...the F outputs are rated at 125mA, whereas a stalled
lego motor draws ~650mA.  So, there IS a risk of burning out the decoder...I'm
willing to take that risk, but would say that you have to make your own
judgement as to the risk.

As far as # of functions, the 2nd number indicates the # of functions.  So, a
DN121 has 2 functions (forward and reverse light). Dependant on decoder, these
can be decoupled from the track. (IE, you have to choose them on and running)
As for the rest of the functions, there are 6 useable codes really, since
#3(IIRC) is reserved for a bell function on the decoder (not always fitted, and
you can use it for whatever you want...).

If you are willing to trim out the cab lighting (you can run it as a direct
feed off the track...it has constant voltage), then that would save you a fair
chunk of change.  The choice of decoder IS going to be affected by how much
load you are planning to put on the functions...I would NOT want to have a
motor running for long periods of time on the F outputs of a N decoder...the
125mA is too little, IMO, for safe long term operations. (you are NOT limited
to Digitrax decoders, it might pay to do some investigating...or, perhaps Calum
can speak up here :)

Looking at the DN and DH series decoders it seems that the DN are 'less
featured' but smaller versions of the DH versions?

N or H or O indicates the conventional scale that the decoder "should" fit
into.  (there is a Z one too...).  It is more a indication of how miniturized
the decoder is, than the features (which are best found from the digitrax web
page, IMO-however, I think there is a error on the DN121 bit...it only has 2
functions, not 4...)

I've got to come visiting :)  Send me a Email as to when you (VanLUG) are
having a meeting-I need at least a week notice though, because I need to get a
weekend leave pass to leave Victoria now...just in case...

James