 Trains / 13966
Re: BR18 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:37:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Ron Kittle writes:
Wow, Shaun, this is a great engine!  I second the request for a video
file to see it in motion!

I wish lego would create some new pieces to make it easier to model the
running gear for steamers.  Of course (as you well know), once you create
an engine with a long wheelbase, those tight turns become an issue!

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the comments!

You're right, I spend soooo much of my time trying to figure out how to make
the wheels work ... and of course, even after I've settled on a design, it
changes a dozen times during the coure of building.  But then again, isn't that
part of the fun?  Hmmm, maybe not :P

The real challenge turned out to be that trailing axle (supporting the cab).
For the longest time I had its rotation fixed to the third drive-wheel-axle.
This worked great, *except* when the motive force came from behind (pushing).
Then it had a tendency to buckle in the middle, pushing the drive wheels to one
side and the trailing wheels to the other.  I was pleased when I stumbled on
that "switchback" articulation.  When pushed from behind, the long section
automatically tries to straighten out, but it has enough play to easily manage
LEGO track curves.

I would shudder at the thought of trying anything with a longer wheelbase,
though. This was bad enough ...

Thanks again!
-s