 Trains / 13928
    Finally... —James Powell
   I've actually completed the joining loop on my new fixed layout. Something in excess of 300 straight track, 1 3/4 circles+, 2 switches, 47" vertical, 5 holes in walls later, I can get trains from the lower level to the upper level. Max load appears (...) (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —Tony Hafner
     (...) Goodness! This I *have* to see. -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com www.pnltc.org (23 years ago, 14-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —Michael Lachmann
   James, I'm interested in what equipment (parts) you used for DCC. What decoder have you used and how to you drive it. Maybe you could add some sources and prices of this parts - just to get an idea. Thanks, Michael "James Powell" (...) (23 years ago, 15-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —James Powell
   (...) I know that some of what you are looking for has been posted, but to repeat: I'm using Digitrax ((URL) equipment. They have dealers in a bunch of places (listed on their web page). I've been dealing with Terry, at Pacific Scale Rail (Victoria) (...) (23 years ago, 18-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —Dean Husby
   (...) I have a couple questions regarding the decoders... Manly in regards to the 'Functions' available. I understand that you have a break van setup that uses these functions? What decoder did you use in that model? Is the DN121 only lights with no (...) (23 years ago, 22-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —James Powell
    (...) DN121's. (...) I'm using the light outputs as functions. I'm _not_ going to come out and say that it is a good idea...the F outputs are rated at 125mA, whereas a stalled lego motor draws ~650mA. So, there IS a risk of burning out the (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —Dean Husby
   (...) From what I've read on the digitraxx web site the DN121's lights are NOT controllable. They just come on when the train moves and does auto directioning. (...) That sounds scary... Damn... I wonder what the largest decoder would be that would (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —James Powell
    (...) Nope. You can turn the output on/off, but which one of the 2 is selected is dependant on direction (you have 2 discrete outputs, but can only get them on when the motor is going in the right direction, and then you action F0). So, the brakes (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —Dean Husby
   (...) That's good! For a while there I thought I had no control over my lights. But of course no modeler would put up with that! (...) Yes. But, from what I can glean from the web site, the DN142 is the same size so it will work. I was laying awake (...) (23 years ago, 23-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)

        Re: Finally... —James Powell
    (...) You could also power a power transistor with it :) That'd take up less room... I'm not too sure as to the best approach. Perhaps a friendly Email to digitrax would get a answer as to possible approaches? James (23 years ago, 24-Nov-01, to lugnet.trains)