 Trains / 13379
Re: 12 volt track
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 06:07:12 GMT

I would have thought that 'begs' is the same as 'to ask formally'. In fact
Collins uses the example "beg the question - to put forward an arguement
that assumes the very point it is supposed to establish, or (and in this
case) that depends on some other questionable assumption."

'Beget' means 'to father' or in this case 'to cause or create'. So both
would be correct.  :0)  Not sure where you get that 'begs' means 'avoids'
though....

Oh - and this is from 'Collins Paperback Dictionary, 1995'.

My 1/50th of a dollar.

"Rick Clark" <jrclark@nospam.aol.com> wrote in message
Just FYI, "Begs the question" means "avoids the question," and not "asks • for the
question." This phrase is misused by almost everyone (Check your • dictionary). It
would, however, be correct to say "Begets the question."

<snip>

Which begs the question (or asks for it nicely, anyway): Has anybody • ever had
any problems with the contacts in 9v train motors getting dirty / • corroded?

ROSCO