 Trains / 13237
  A new GP30

After four sittings I have almost finished my GP30. I am happy with the model; so, I decided to post some pictures before it is completely done. The model is 8 studs wide and 43 studs long. I have switched from using 4 1x2x2 windows across the front (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

First off, the small fan in the back should be a little larger, but... On my GP30 I only used 1 1x2 grill tile. I like the way you have the buldge built, i'll have to do a little modification on mine. I tried to keep the buldge thin, so I went with (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

Chris, Excellent work! Are you sure we don't share part of the same brain ;) I have a mockup of a gp30 cab that is suprising close to yours. Those round top bricks practicaly scream GP30 (at least to me). Secondly, I've been trying to use crown (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Hi Josh, Yeah, the little fan should be bigger, but a 2x2 round plate doesn't really fit because the crown gears stick out past their 3x3 holes. I am thinking about alternatives (The minifig scale X-wing has those 3x3 round engines. To bad (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Chris, Whoops, part of my reply to you was included in my reply to Josh. The crown gear wheel hub combo is a very attractive prospect, and I continue to wonder about it. The yellow finger hinge arms are from my 4563. I used up my entire (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Thanks! This is nice work. As others have said, the rounded cab top is so GP30 characteristic... between that and the humped ventilator you've nailed the look of the engine. Very good use of SNOT and halfstud offset techniques in this model. (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

I went with those thin technic wheels, they work fine, & really take no technic construction to build them into it, & the fit into the 3x3 space!. I built the ends of my model with plates to get a more appropirate angle to the hoods (works really (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Lar, Thanks. I don't know if you remember, but I have been mulling over the idea of doing a GP30 since you suggested it some time ago. (Back when I made my 6 wide SD40-2.) At the time, we had the same discussion about railings too. That was (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) As I said, it works quite well. The major hurdle is that the thinwalls take up quite a bit of height which may make it difficult to get some side details in the right place. (...) Every once in a while I look on BrickBay for them and can't (...) (23 years ago, 9-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Dan Siskind of the GMLTC came up with the idea of using the pirate's hook. Although there aren't any pics on the net that I'm aware exemplifying Dan's technique, he first used it IIRC on a UP Dash 9 (8 wide:-) that sits in Conan's basement. (...) (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: A new GP30

(...) Thanks for providing the details on who. There must be a picture of that loco somewhere on Brickshelf, otherwise I wouldn't have seen it. (...) Thanks (...) Chris (23 years ago, 10-Sep-01, to lugnet.trains)