 Trains / 13243
Re: A new GP30
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 17:57:35 GMT

Josh Baakko wrote:

First off, the small fan in the back should be a little larger, but...  On
my GP30 I only used 1 1x2 grill tile.  I like the way you have the buldge
built, i'll have to do a little modification on mine.  I tried to keep the
buldge thin, so I went with 2 plates.  I have a bit to work on still, but
I'm ordering the motors soon, so it'll be runable.  If anyone wants to
caompair my unfinished GP30 with Christopher Masi's here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/jbaakko/8wide.html

Josh

Hi Josh,

  Yeah, the little fan should be bigger, but a 2x2 round plate doesn't really
fit because the crown gears stick out past their 3x3 holes. I am thinking about
alternatives (The minifig scale X-wing has those 3x3 round engines. To bad they
are so long, and to bad they have the spots where bricks connect at the ends.
Those spots are great for attaching things, but they interrupt the roundness of
the openings.)
  Putting the wheel-crown gear assemblies in the back of my engine isn't really
an option for me. I like the positioning of the vents 2 plates below the top of
the engine. To put thinwalls back there means at least 3 plates or maybe 4
plates between the vent and the top of the engine.
  I really would like to get the technic wheel with crown gear vent in the
bulge, but that will take a serious redesign because I don't what to make the
top any thicker, and I want to use grille tiles in the opening.
  Sticking the wheel-crown gear assemblies in my SD40-2 would be fairly easy,
but I like the all blue top. The light gray hubs and gears just jump out too
much. If they were dark gray they might blend in a little better. Black is an
option, but I don't have any black hubs, and I don't feel like buying them just
to test an idea.
  I rationalize vent sizing (the vents on the side) buy saying that front vent
tallest but similar to the rear vent, and the vent in the radiator bulge is
smallest. That sets the radiator vent size to 1 SNOT grille tile tall and the
others to 2 SNOT grille tiles tall. The size of the front grille and the bulge
actually worked out well, I thought. In the pictures I have, the bulge starts to
taper in the bottom third of the vent, and on my model the inward slope begins
before the vent ends, so I liked that fit. Also, you cannot see it on the side
of the model that is finished, but the vent on the other side of the cab is cut
in so the engineer can open the door. So, 1 grille on the top bulge, and the
second grille recessed into the model.

Thanks,
Chris
--