 Trains / 11897
Re: 3451 "Sopwith Camel" 14-wide boxcar
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 20:14:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.modelteam, Kevin Maynes writes:

http://www.kmaynespaint.com/Pages/Subsidiaries/Sub_LGnRB/14W.html

The weathered look of the roof pieces is great - it really adds to the
character of the boxcar.  One question though, it looks short to me - how
difficult would it be to make it longer?  (Besides the obvious - having to
buy another Sopwith Camel!)

JohnG, GMLTC

Yeah, it is a tad short, I was hoping I'd get away with it, considering that
the roof makes it look quite old, and most older rail cars were pretty small..
(then again it kinda looks like it's got metal sides, which would make it newer
and thus need to be bigger.. can't win 'em all)
It'd certainly be easy enough to stretch it and hang more plates on the sides.
The only thing keeping me from doing so at the moment is a lack of the roof
bits; even without more copies of the Camel, I could use the end plates and
replace them with standard dark grey or something. Any differential between the
roof length and side length could be dealt with by redesigning the doors. (I
spent quite some time trying to design a sliding door that would fit and still
look good before finally turning (ha!) to the hinges.
For now though I'm gonna leave it that length - when the rusted roof bits
become more available though, that'll change.

Cheers,
KMaynes