 Model Team / 286
Re: [Review] 3451 "Sopwith Camel"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 02:52:30 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
RATINGS (Scale:  Must-Have  Excellent  Very-Good  Good  Fair  Poor)
Set: Must-Have  /  Model: Very-Good  /  Playability: Fair to Poor

I just got mine Friday and built it, and I mostly agree with Larry's
ratings (though I would actually rate playability a bit higher, it's
fragile, but does hold together if you don't stress it too much).

0 minifigs (the cockpit probably cannote take a Belville or Technic figure
but is a bit too large for a minifig. Jack Stone maybe?)

I did try a Creator minifig, and discovered YAY! Creator minifigs look
decent in Model Team vehicles. Now my Shell Ferrari and Big Foot 4x4
have drivers. They do look a little like kids in the cockpits, but their
heads come to a reasonable level. Another good pilot for the Sopwith
Camel would be one of the Fabuland Crow pilots (I tried a Fabuland
figure and they fit well also).

Next is the fuselage spine. Note the use of brown diamond windowpanes for
the seat bottom (and back). I did find one error in the instructions. Step 8
of the "fuselage spine" subassembly got double rendered at a 1 stud diagonal
offset, and it can be quite confusing until you realise it, I thought I had
missed a step!.

Actually there were two steps misprinted, Step 7 is also misprinted,
just not as bad and noticeably.

Other Pluses

- Instructions have a Blueprint background
- Lots of dark grey parts
- Lots of tan parts
- Lots of brown parts
- Lots of plates of all shapes and sizes
- Neat use of parts

Would I buy it again? You bet. It would be a good gift for an older fan.
It's a great source of parts too. I only need one on display so all the rest
I bought would be for parting out.

I must say, I'll be curious to see how people use the brown 6x16
tile/plates.

Frank