 Trains / 11259
Re: Not My Own Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 22:18:22 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Richard W. Schamus writes:
<snipped insights>
Wow, thanks for the insight John! I always suspected that creativity and
versatility were scrapped for sake of a set design's monetary bottom line.
It just kills me (and probably the designers too) that the designers are not
given as much of a free hand. I'm not the first person to say that in my
opinion, TLC's departure into juniorism cost them much more than they saved.
I, like many others, would have paid more for better sets, (well, some more
anyways). Raising the bar on cost effectiveness would have (IMHO) yeilded
TLC a healthy profit over the past couple of years rather than losses.

I guess we'll all just have to see whether or not they will test the theory
of how much the traffic will bear for older styled sets and if it would
actually be profitable to produce them again.

Rich

Hopefully sets like the new Sopwith Camel sell well enough to convince LEGO
that there is a market for high quality, highly detailed sets.  And I would
guess they're also watching sales numbers for the bulk train windows and
doors, as well as the other train accessories.

Yes, I hope that the recent fair they are providing us now really helps us
help them in their decision making.

Personally, I like the new "own trains".  They're not designed for fanatics
like us, they're designed for kids - and I think they meet that target
audience pretty well.  And besides, they're a good source for parts!  <grin>

Within the context you describe, I fully agree. And I also like the parts
selection as well.

JohnG, GMLTC

Rich

--
Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the
views of my employer...)

BRICKFEST 2001 IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER... START MAKING PLANS TODAY.

Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****