 Trains / 11252
Re: Not My Own Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 19:19:18 GMT

...snip...

The real problem doesn't necessarily reflect on juniorization (which is
partly to blame, please stop that), but an over-all lack of quality.  The
engineers designing these sets just aren't good at what they do.  I enjoy
making my own models, but have always been captivated by Lego designs-- but
not for the last few years.

After spending some time working for Lego and talking to some of my buddies
who used to work designing the star wars sets, I'd argue that it is not the
designer's fault the models seem uninspired, it's the constraints that are
placed on the designer to be at a certain price point for a size model.
Many stories I can't tell about designs that were scrapped because it was
not cost effective to produce them in Lego's sales mind.

Mind you, I'm not arguing for this type of mentality, just offering some
insight into why it is so.  Given a free hand, the designers come up with
some incredible models, they just aren't ever sold.

-john 3

It's a sad day when you build a Lego model and you end up hating it.

That's just my opinion...
-Lars