 Trains / 11264
Re: Not My Own Train
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 03:09:35 GMT

Wasn't there an NDA signed?

<Cue the big lawyers in the United States of Litigation>

So you guys did know about this. What else ey?

Santosh

In lugnet.trains, Steven  Barile writes:
Where was Lars when I had the floor at the summit? :) Way inside, but I drew
simular conclusions when we were asked about the new train at the summit we
had several months ago. And the designer was there and this creation is not
a "designer-gone-bad", I totally agree with JohnG and Lar's replies.
SteveB

In lugnet.trains, Lars Brandt writes:
Without excitement, I received my gray train with tendor the other day,
built it, and gasped at its ugliness.  This is the best Lego can
produce?  Great, their new technology allows you to receive a lousy model in
any color you want.

Lego, obviously, goes overboard most of the time with the design of their
new molds (I won't call them bricks), but in the case for the Lego Train
system, some new molds need to be introduced.  For one thing, the Lego train
wheels roll great, but they have a built in "modern" or "diesel" design that
cannot be translated into a steam engine, I don't care how creative you are.

A steam engine, or old-fashioned, wheel system needs to be introduced, in
black, red, and gray colors.  I don't even understand why Lego got rid of
the holes in the motor engine to move the train bars with the wheels-- they
were so cool.

The 80's train systems had so much character, you actually fell in love with
the model itself, the pictures, even the box.  To this day, I am still in
awe of the 7725, 7740, 7750, 7755, 7760, etc.

The real problem doesn't necessarily reflect on juniorization (which is
partly to blame, please stop that), but an over-all lack of quality.  The
engineers designing these sets just aren't good at what they do.  I enjoy
making my own models, but have always been captivated by Lego designs-- but
not for the last few years.

It's a sad day when you build a Lego model and you end up hating it.

That's just my opinion...
-Lars