 Trains / 11086
  SW-something switcher

Here is the most complete version of my SW series switcher... It started out as a SW1200 but I think I deviated from that design a bit. (URL) isn't the finished product yet but I am running into a problem. Just before the cab there is part of the (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Looks good as it is, your addition of handrails on the rear of the cab is the first I've seen among SW-type builders. I believe that 8 wide is the best way to portray American railroad equipment.-Harvey (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Not from me... Seems like a tough problem as long as the slope on the hood remains above the hinge bricks, thus producing an "over-bite", as such. From the photos, I don't see much of a "gap", but perhaps a better angle would show it? Or, is (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Yeah, that angle in is a bummer. Frankly, my solution has been to avoid it, because nothing is going to look just right given the limitations of the elements-- for *8wide*, that is. Rob Werner in the GFLTC has built a really nice switcher (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) I suspect he used the dual taper piece (4x4x1 high) in the yellow and red/black show trucks... that is a perfect piece for this application, but the problem with it is that it tapers from 4 to 2... Talk about your strong argument for making (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Rick Clark did a black and green Burlington Northern switcher (6-wide) tapering this way, and it looks great. Unfortunately, he doesn't have pics of it on his site. This is the best picture I could find on the PNLTC site: (URL) loco in (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Hey Lar, maybe I'll have Rickey and his exact-o knife have a looksie at the problem;-) <inside GMLTC joke> -John (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Hey, who's loco is that on the next track over from the above mentioned loco? The red and gray one. Look good from that pic! Jake --- Jake McKee AFOL LUGNET member #211 (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Heh- you might think that was mine... but it is Steve's. I copied the basic color scheme from that loco, with some modifications. I was definitely inspired by it. -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com www.pnltc.org (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  8w Switcher Hood Taper concept (was: SW-something switcher)

(...) That sounds like a challenge to me! The problem was bugging me all morning, and it has been rather quiet around here, so I whipped this up. I don't prototype in MLCAD very much, but this looks feasable and reasonably sturdy to me. I believe (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: 8w Switcher Hood Taper concept (was: SW-something switcher)

Very nicely shown. later, James Mathis (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Yes, here is a picture of my SW1200... (URL) on... Robin W GFLTC (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  MOC (was SW-something switcher)

(...) Thanks for the plug, Tony. There are a couple more pictures of my switcher at fellow PNLTC Member Gary Gerdes's site. The links are: (URL) (nod to Dan Parker for his excellent 3x3 bi-level module) (URL) prototypes at: (URL) of GREAT photos (...) (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)

  Re: SW-something switcher

(...) Thanks (...) The gap is only about 1 mm. I can force the bricks to snap together but I think that will damage the bricks if they are left too long like that. (...) I see what you mean... I'll work on it. (...) I came up with this as a (...) (23 years ago, 5-May-01, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build)