 Trains / 11113
Re: SW-something switcher
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 15:04:49 GMT

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
Here is the most complete version of my SW series switcher... It started
out as a SW1200 but I think I deviated from that design a bit.

Beautiful work.

Thanks
Not from me...  Seems like a tough problem as long as the slope on the hood
remains above the hinge bricks, thus producing an "over-bite", as such.

From the photos, I don't see much of a "gap", but perhaps a better angle would
show it?  Or, is the issue that the construction is fragile?

The gap is only about 1 mm.  I can force the bricks to snap together but
I think that will damage the bricks if they are left too long like
that.

I have used hinge-bricks to achieve "taper" on the nose of my 6-wide Acela, but
I have resolved myself to live with blaring "gaps" around the low slopes and
trapezoid plate that interface with the hinge bricks.
So, I, too, have a similar dilema...
See Acela gaping nostrils at:

I guess the main reason I refer to these images of the Acela is to show how a
trapezoid plate can be hinged to nearly match the rake of a low 33 slope
element that is attached to a hinge brick. Yet, I still have those holes
between the trapezoid plate and the 33 slopes (ick).  Maybe you could work
something out based on that with the benefit of more room on the 8-wide
platform?

I see what you mean... I'll work on it.

You've got some "tricky" brick geometry going on, there.
When faced with similar issues, I usually end up doing a whole lot of "trial
and error" attempts with a variety stud-rotation elements.
Best of luck!

I came up with this as a potential solution.

Too bad most of the pieces I need don't exist in the colors I need.

-chris