 Trains / 11108
11107  |  11109
Subject:
MOC (was SW-something switcher)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 5 May 2001 05:21:49 GMT

Tony Hafner wrote:

Yeah, that angle in is a bummer.  Frankly, my solution has been to avoid
it, because nothing is going to look just right given the limitations of
the elements-- for *8wide*, that is.  Rob Werner in the GFLTC has built a
really nice switcher which I saw in person that is 6 wide which solves this
very problem quite nicely.

I suspect he used the dual taper piece  (4x4x1 high) in the
yellow and red/black show trucks... that is a perfect piece for
this application, but the problem with it is that it tapers from
4 to 2...

I confess, I just ignore this width taper in my commercial model
and only taper the height... I thought about a 4 to 2 taper but
it just seems too narrow.

Rick Clark did a black and green Burlington Northern switcher (6-wide)
tapering this way, and it looks great.  Unfortunately, he doesn't have pics
of it on his site.  This is the best picture I could find on the PNLTC site:
  http://www.pnltc.org/PDX_GATS_01/photos/DCP01159.jpg

The loco in question in at the bottom, just left of center.

Thanks for the plug, Tony. There are a couple more pictures of my switcher at
fellow PNLTC Member Gary Gerdes's site. The links are:
http://gerdesdesign.com/lego/burl-north.jpg (nod to Dan Parker for his excellent
3x3 bi-level module)
http://gerdesdesign.com/lego/burl-north2.jpg

And prototypes at:
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/bn/bn134.jpg
http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/bn/bn151.jpg
(lots of GREAT photos here)

I found that modeling the switcher in 6-wide was a great challenge, and I was
pleased to recreate many of the features from the photos. The stairs on the
front and back are a bit wide, but that was intentional so they would be
functional for minifigs. The logo, numbering, and front striping are O-scale
decals.

Truth be told, my inspiration for the model was the very angle being discussed.
I saw that strange look on the the prototype, and realized, "Hey, I have that
piece!" (Dual-taper as mentioned above.) The rest of the model just came
together.

This loco made it's first (unpowered) appearance at our World Record event, last
August. I discovered that unpowered locos don't get much track time...

I've recently been playing with lengthening the main body, to accomodate fuel
tanks between the wheelsets, but it starts to look really long, really fast.

Feedback welcome.

Rick Clark