 Trains / 11088
Re: SW-something switcher
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 16:16:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
Here is the most complete version of my SW series switcher... It started
out as a SW1200 but I think I deviated from that design a bit.

Beautiful work.

This isn't the finished product yet but I am running into a problem.
Just before the cab there is part of the hood that is angled in on the
sides.  I tried to simulate ths by using hinge bricks.  Of course the
angle has produced a distance that is not an even stud length so it is
difficult to get the two sections (cab and hood) to line up correctly.
ANy ideas on how to solves this?

Not from me...  Seems like a tough problem as long as the slope on the hood
remains above the hinge bricks, thus producing an "over-bite", as such.

From the photos, I don't see much of a "gap", but perhaps a better angle would
show it?  Or, is the issue that the construction is fragile?

I have used hinge-bricks to achieve "taper" on the nose of my 6-wide Acela, but
I have resolved myself to live with blaring "gaps" around the low slopes and
trapezoid plate that interface with the hinge bricks.
So, I, too, have a similar dilema...
See Acela gaping nostrils at:

I guess the main reason I refer to these images of the Acela is to show how a
trapezoid plate can be hinged to nearly match the rake of a low 33 slope
element that is attached to a hinge brick. Yet, I still have those holes
between the trapezoid plate and the 33 slopes (ick).  Maybe you could work
something out based on that with the benefit of more room on the 8-wide
platform?

You might consider "floating" the cab section above tiles to accommodate the
awkward stud offset; but, that could be too fragile?  For my Acela, somehow the
magnet interface to hold on the nose seemed to line up the detachable nose with
the angled-in hinge bricks; if not exact, fairly close.

You've got some "tricky" brick geometry going on, there.
When faced with similar issues, I usually end up doing a whole lot of "trial
and error" attempts with a variety stud-rotation elements.
Best of luck!
I'm looking forward to seeing what others may have to suggest find a solution
to this alignment challenge.

later,
James Mathis