 Trains / 10486
Re: MOC: BR52 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 18:27:32 GMT

Shaun Sullivan wrote:

I just posted pictures of my German 1930s/40s BR52 Steam Locomotive on
Brickshelf.  It was my first serious train undertaking:

Some interesting points:

- it's minifig scale[1], which makes the engine 41 studs long - I
arrived at this length by scaling some pictures of the engine and
tender, having found out that the two together are just under 23 meters
in length.

- the six drive wheels (3 per side) are each connected to a linkage
system that throws the piston in and out of the main cylinders.

- the engine can actually negotiate the curves of the LEGO track - the
10 large wheels are broken into two turning components - the 6 drive
wheels move separately from the other 4.  The small front two wheels are
actually situated so that they don't quite touch the track and slide
over the rails during turning.

- the pistons continue to function as the train goes through the curves

- the large wheels are currently in haphazard colors - grey, white, and
black.  They will hopefully all be black in the very near future.

- the main points of the tender design were borrowed from Stefan Vorst's
train, which can be seen at

- the engine is currently undriven, mainly because I don't have any
train motors yet.  I'm anticipating putting two on the tender.  For now,
though, it's a static model that can be manually driven :)

- the tender is almost out of coal *gasp*

Comments, feedback, and suggestions are welcome,

Shaun

You know your in for a treat when you see a thumbnail and you wonder if the
thumbnail is LEGO or a model train being shown for comparison.

Nicely done. I haven't had a chance to look at the technical details, but I like
all the bumps and gadgets and stuff attached to the engine. The extra texture
and details make it a treat to look at.

Thanks for sharing,
Chris