 Trains / 10485
Re: MOC: BR52 Steam Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 17:23:04 GMT

Shaun,

You've built an absolutely stunning locomotive.  I am really really impressed
with the details and engineering solutions you've showcased.

later,
James Mathis

In lugnet.trains, Shaun Sullivan writes:
Hi Holger,

Thanks for your comments.  I'll try and describe the linkage mechanism a bit
better, referring to this picture:

All of the wheels are attached to technic axles.  This was accomplished by
attaching  large grey pulley wheels on the inside using technic • pins-with-studs,
and running the technic axle through the center of the pulleys.

The rear three axles (the grey and black wheels) are all geared together using • the
medium spur gears (what are they, 16 teeth?) so that they have to move in • unison -
I found that when they were allowed to move separately they could slip a • little and
the linkage would bind.  These three axles are all mounted as one "group", and • are
allowed to rotate about a turntable located above the center wheel.

The other two main axles (the white wheels) are mounted together as well. • Both of
them are free, and have some wiggle room - that is to say, the technic axle • that
they are attached to on the other side can slide back and forth in the technic • beam
they are mounted in. Additionally, they also rotate using a turntable.

The dark grey technic linkage is mounted on a ball pin on each end, so it also • has
some freedom out of the plane of its primary motion.  The main piston that • enters
the cylinder is constrained  by the guide shaft located above it , so it can • only
move horizontally.

When going around a curve, the front two axles just barely have enough room to
rotate without interfering with the piston.  I alos have the small technic • rubber
bands on all of the drive wheels to provide a little more friction and reduce
slipping.

I'll try and take some pictures of the mechanism this evening ...

thanks again!
shaun

Holger Matthes wrote:

Hi Shaun,

FANTASTIC model you have build out of our favorite bricks! And thanks for • the
describtion in your posting! The quality of first ever build serious MOCs is
getting better and better!

I am wonderring how the pistons works even when the engine negotiate curves? • Is
it right, that only the last 3 wheels are conected to the piston system? And
these wheels are fixed together in a structure?

Will you go for some (pre- / post-) war waggons as well?

Keep on bricking!

Regards from Germany,

Holger