 Trains / 10339
  Tank Car Mania Continues

I finally managed to finish the detail on my two versions of the tank car. The first version is a standard grey tank car using 7106 Droid Escape Pod parts. The grey car is three "pod segements" long. The second car uses the same set but the white (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) <snip> (...) Nice work. If you like that sort of thing (8 wide... :-) ) or even if you don't! Thanks for sharing these. Tell us about the sanding! Did you consider using Brasso like everyone else seems to? Do you think you took much actual (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

Well, I have 64 of the white panels now (and I still have about 20 of the R2D2s & C3P0s after giving some to my daughters class). Brasso and Toothpaste and Goof-Off all took too long and left me with a headache. The hand sander with a light grit did (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) ladder solution isn't as nice looking as the ladder on the gray tank car. I wonder if it would be better to model tanks that have walk ways that extend the entire length of the car when using the droid escape pods bricks. Thanks for sharing, (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) Would brake fluid also work? -Harvey (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

In lugnet.trains, Larry Pieniazek writes: . (...) I've had success using "white rouge" buffing compound from your local Sears or hardware store. That and a small buffing wheel on a bench grinder leaves a smooth finish. The Sears white compound is (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

I was thinking along the same line, but haven't tried my 'still in the box since X-mass' Dremel tool with a buffing wheel, since I don't have a grinder/buffer. Any one tried this? SteveB LOL while thinking about forgetting to changing the wheel and (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) Hello, I just thought I would add my 2 cents here. I use to use Brasso without pre-sanding and as a lot of people noted that takes an incredibly long time and is hard on the fingers and the sinuses. Then I went to 600 grit sandpaper which (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) As opposed to 6 wide ? Hmmm... a tank car in brown... brown cylinder halves from 6617, brown train wagon ends from 7104... where else have brown parts been popping up lately ? Ray (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) Dont, the buffer melts the plastic. I have tried it, and it melts the plastic. Same with acrylic. kai (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) I had my large buffer wheel set to 300 rpm and it worked fine. What speed were you using, may I ask? (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) At 300 also. Hmm........ Do you have an older model? I got mine a couple months ago. Maybe the motor has decreased its output? (...) (23 years ago, 16-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Tank Car Mania Continues

(...) As I mentioned, I used a bench grinder (I should have mentioned with a buffer wheel) and very fine rouge. Lots of variables here, so lets just say that one should experiment first on whatever tools are available. Cheers, (...) (23 years ago, 17-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)