 Trains / 10349
Re: Tank Car Mania Continues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:44:43 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rich Thompson writes:
Well, I have 64 of the white panels now (and I still have about 20 of the
R2D2s & C3P0s after giving some to my daughters class). Brasso and
Toothpaste and Goof-Off all took too long and left me with a headache. The
hand sander with a light grit did the trick. The panels were never in
contact with the sander for more than a few seconds, just enough to gently
pull the paint off. The panels still seem entirely stable and firm. The
texture feels like a model that has been primed for painting. Smooth but
lightly porous(sp?). There are some place where the panel has a trace of
paint, but that makes for a more detailed tank car :)

The brasso took a bit of elbow work. I was looking for fast and effective.
Of course, your mileage may vary...

Needless to say

Rich Thompson
http://www.robotthoughts.com

In lugnet.trains, Rich Thompson writes:
I finally managed to finish the detail on my two versions of the tank car.

<snip>

LMKWYT, as usual.

Nice work. If you like that sort of thing (8 wide... :-) ) or even if you don't!

Thanks for sharing these. Tell us about the sanding! Did you consider using
Brasso like everyone else seems to? Do you think you took much actual
material off, or just the printing?

++Lar
Would brake fluid also work? -Harvey