 Trains / 10353
Re: Tank Car Mania Continues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:31:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Rich Thompson writes:
I finally managed to finish the detail on my two versions of the tank car.

<snip>

LMKWYT, as usual.

Nice work. If you like that sort of thing (8 wide... :-) ) or even if you don't!

Thanks for sharing these. Tell us about the sanding! Did you consider using
Brasso like everyone else seems to? Do you think you took much actual
material off, or just the printing?

++Lar

Hello,

     I just thought I would add my 2 cents here.  I use to use Brasso
without pre-sanding and as a lot of people noted that takes an incredibly
long time and is hard on the fingers and the sinuses.  Then I went to 600
grit sandpaper which worked alright but left too much texture for my taste.
More texture also means more work before you get the piece to shine again.
Now I've graduated to wet sanding with 2000 grit sand paper by hand.  This
process goes incredibly fast (relative to other hand sanding) and doesn't
seem to remove much material at all.  Then I only need to use a little bit
of brasso solution to restore the shine.  I found the 2000 grit sandpaper in
the automotive section of a Meijer store rather cheap as I recall.  Sold by
3M for use in removing minor surface scratches from car paint jobs.  Along
the same lines I will be buying a Dremel rotory tool in the very near
future.  It has a variable RPM setting and this particular kit comes with a
3' flex-cable that you can attach the bit to for use in tight spots.  I
figured it would be easier to use the cable when working with small, or
detailed parts.  I will let you know how that works out.

David
Lugnet Member #457