 Trains / 10257
Re: My first MOC locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 02:30:57 GMT

I love the rotating fan/vents on top!  Does the extra power
drain on the 9V affect the speed at all?  (I wouldn't think so.)

No, it doesn't seem to.  But the big ol' 9v motor makes the loc very
top-heavy.  It can't do corners at full speed if it has a decent straight
lead into them.  If I do that again, I might try using a micromotor and
gearing it up.  On the other hand, it's a freight hauler and the slower
speeds make sense anyway.

How fast do they spin?  Mind if I try to do the same thing?

I don't mind- as it is, I copied the idea from Dwayne Towell.  As far as how
fast they go, it's fast enough that they look like vents and slow enough
that it is very visible (as opposed to being a blur).

If you thought you needed my approval, consider it given, but I don't think
you need it. I didn't use a normal train plate. I put the 9V motor as low
as I could in the design--I actually built the "fuel tanks" around it so it
kept the center of gravity very low, possibly below the bogies. Also I
recommend a loose coupling between the fans and the motor to allow some
tolerance for curious fingers. I used a 3:1 (8:24) gear ratio, the blades
are not a blur but clearly are fast at top speed and still noticeably turn
at the lowest setting. An unusual/unexpected side effect occurred--moving
the train by hand causes the fans to turn since the train motor acts as a
generator to power the 9V motor. This leads most people to assume the fans
are physically (via gears) connected to the wheels and wonder what the
linkage is like.

Dwayne