 Trains / 10269
Re: My first MOC locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:03:06 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dwayne Towell writes:
If you thought you needed my approval, consider it given, but I don't think
you need it. I didn't use a normal train plate. I put the 9V motor as low
as I could in the design--I actually built the "fuel tanks" around it so it
kept the center of gravity very low, possibly below the bogies. Also I
recommend a loose coupling between the fans and the motor to allow some
tolerance for curious fingers. I used a 3:1 (8:24) gear ratio, the blades
are not a blur but clearly are fast at top speed and still noticeably turn
at the lowest setting. An unusual/unexpected side effect occurred--moving
the train by hand causes the fans to turn since the train motor acts as a
generator to power the 9V motor. This leads most people to assume the fans
are physically (via gears) connected to the wheels and wonder what the
linkage is like.

Dwayne's is a much more massive engine, and is a lot more stable than mine
to begin with.  I hadn't thought about the effect of fingers on the fans-
perhaps a belt drive with a rubber band would be a good idea.  I wish I'd
taken the opportunity to see the insides of his- after working on this, I
have more appreciation for the technical difficulties.

Pictures, Dwayne, pictures!  I seem to recall a lot of your newer creations
at the GATS show that aren't on your web site (or the club's).

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com