 Trains / 10221
  My first MOC locomotive

Hello, all- This is my first true MOC locomotive- in the past, I've only worked with 4.5 volt trains. And the 4.5 volt locomotives I made were just slightly modified official sets. I did this up in my LTC's colors, and added a few stickers to pretty (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains) !

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) A *very nice* first MOC! (much better than my first attempts!) I like the use of the fence pieces on the sides to represent venting. One question on the 'tail end', since I'm not familiar with this locomotive. Should there be a door of some (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) Thank you very much! After doing a few shows with PNLTC, I've seen a lot of really nice MOC trains in the last 6 months. Being around these guys has to rub off at least a little. (...) When I was building this, I only had 2 pictures to go on (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) Hey, i was thinking or making a F45 too, but i decided apon a simalar locomotive, the SD40-2F, built for the Canadian Pacific Railway. Here are some pictures, i liked the distinctive wedge (has a special name, can't think of it now): (URL) (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

In l (...) Draper Taper, IIRC. I do like the full width body style locos. Especially up here, having a exposed walkway is stupid in winter weather. It makes for good photos though :) James P (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

I like it a lot. I think you have captured the FP45 very well. And the rotating fans are always neat. "Tony Hafner" <hafhead@PANTSplanetquake.com> wrote in message news:GA3rxB.4FH@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) I love the rotating fan/vents on top! Does the extra power drain on the 9V affect the speed at all? (I wouldn't think so.) How fast do they spin? Mind if I try to do the same thing? SRC StRuCtures L#765 (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) No, it doesn't seem to. But the big ol' 9v motor makes the loc very top-heavy. It can't do corners at full speed if it has a decent straight lead into them. If I do that again, I might try using a micromotor and gearing it up. On the other (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) That first shot is a really beautiful picture. Yes, it is very similar in shape- and modeling the wedge looks like a good challenge. I would assume that it is tapered to give the engineer a better rearward view from the cab. The FP45 looks (...) (24 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) Tony, I like your design. In the front 3/4 view, it looks great, but in the side views, it looks a bit stubby. Are those engines stubby, or is this a LEGO effect? D'oh! I just read the text on the side view page!!! Sorry. Anyway, like the (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) If you thought you needed my approval, consider it given, but I don't think you need it. I didn't use a normal train plate. I put the 9V motor as low as I could in the design--I actually built the "fuel tanks" around it so it kept the center (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) Dwayne's is a much more massive engine, and is a lot more stable than mine to begin with. I hadn't thought about the effect of fingers on the fans- perhaps a belt drive with a rubber band would be a good idea. I wish I'd taken the opportunity (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: My first MOC locomotive

(...) As James said: "Draper Taper" Its fairly simple, I've used 1x6 technic plates, and 1x1 round bricks for the ends, and lots of plates and 1x2 & 1x3 bricks... I have to make the door still. I'll post pictures soon. Josh (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-01, to lugnet.trains)