 Trains / *9619 (-20)
  Re: New Observation car

(...) This is a beaut. Really reminds me of Budd stainless steel fluted even though it doesn't have any fluting and it isn't stainless. But the way the tail rounds around but not too much really is nice. Clever use of the large thinwall panels. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Dual main lines?

(...) I've already spent considerable time pondering this problem, but I haven't found a solution I liked. If I were to add a table in the middle and shuffle/squeeze the track on both sides to accommodate a fourth "main" line as you suggest, there's (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Just confirming what everyone else is saying, it's a "B" unit. These are less and less common these days as the savings you get on initial purchase from not buying a cab isn't as much as it used to be and the operating flexibility you lose is (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

I want to say a B unit of a EMD/ 1980 engine something like that. i e-mailed the dude to see if he knew anything (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) It's a "B" unit, that is to say, it does not have a crew cab. That's the only difference from a normal unit...it is designed to go in the middle of a consist, and not at the driving end. It's cheaper for the railway, when they are going to (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Help from the train experts ...

(...) Well Mike I'm about as far from an expert as you could get, but I am fairly decent at looking things up... 'specially if I'm given a place to start.... "DIESEL LOCOMOTIVES, NAMING How are diesel locomotives identified? North American diesel (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

(...) Too bad I don't have a better camera. The dome is surrounded by 1x2x1 thin walls. The thin walls are attached to the car and the dome rests in the hole created by the thin walls. There are thin walls at the front and back of the dome too. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Observation car

Chris, This is really cool. Nice new window use for the dome. Are you able to put smooth tiles on both sides of the dome at the interface with the brick sides of the car? The overall look of your observation car is quite nice. later, James Mathis (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Help from the train experts ...

In my wanderings in search of suitable pictures, I found this: HTTP://ARCHIVE.TRAIN...0B/331.HTM What do you call this? It is a locomotive that doesn't have a cab. For some reason the term "slug" comes to my memory but I don't know if it is correct. (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Good point. Maybe the train line needs two levels, an almost Town Jr. level, and a regular old fashion Town level. I am not against LEGO marketing to AFOL's, but I don't think it is necessary. Chris (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) I don't see how this would apply to Larry or anyone else who is already selling their designs (ie, the Guild of Bricksmiths), because the answer to a) above is obviously yes if you're already doing so, and the answer to b) good to excllent, (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) If LEGO was looking to slurp designs, they wouldn't run a contest for single cars. They'd go for entire trains. TLC put in the verbiage about assigning copyright, so they wouldn't have any entanglements over (a) using the winning entry in (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Mountain Switching

I cut some of my switches with very satisfying result. I have pictures and will scan them one of these days. Eric (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: More ramblings about the train contest

(...) Or that TLC has not decided to target sets at the adult train collector market... 4561 is a good set for the target market it's targeted to, which is the same market (or maybe SLIGHTLY advanced) that Town Jr. is targeted to. ++Lar (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

(...) Yup. A 60' layout is going to look pretty empty with only 1 train. I like (John's?) suggestion for doing 2 loops. (...) Cool. The more stuff we've got, the better. (...) I've got 13 of the longest connector, and a smattering of the smallest 2 (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

Michel Magnan wrote in message ... (...) To get more trains moving at once, we would have to cut out some of the long sidings in the center to make room for the second loop. IMO, not a problem. "More running locos are better than more stationary (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: SuperTrain 2001 layout - Switching Yard

SRC wrote in message ... (...) Without messing with polarity switching, a simple solution would be to add an extra main line to the center section for a total of four lines. This way, you can have two loops running the full length of the layout. [1] (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains)

  Re: LEGO Trains on trial?

(...) Thanks Bob, You know where to find me for, um, er, "technical" help in the constructs. Rich -- Have Fun! C-Ya! Legoman34 ***** Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (My views do not necessarily express the views of my employer...) BRICKFEST 2001 (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) Or, just electrically isolate the two sections, so each transformer is powering its own section of track. The easiest way is to leave a 1 stud gap between two lengths of straight track, and use a 4x8 plate to tie (no pun intended!) the tracks (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: min/max distances for track wiring

(...) Or, just electrically isolate the two sections, so each transformer is powering its own section of track. The easiest way is to leave a 1 stud gap between two lengths of straight track, and use a 4x8 plate to tie (no pun intended!) the tracks (...) (24 years ago, 8-Jan-01, to lugnet.trains)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact