 Town / 828
Re: Pictures of GFLTC at GATS Ft Myers on our stie...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 14:20:27 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:
I thought the way you were mixing 6 wide busses with 4 wide trucks and containers
was interesting. It certainly has me thinking about this whole 4, 6, 8-wide
thing. Hmmm does that mean I should make my Honda Civic 3 wide since my wife's
minivan is 4 wide? (Just stirring up trouble.)

Here's a few pics of one of my buses:

When I am building vehicles, I decided to determine the width by how "big"
or
"massive" it has to be.  Buses are typically large things that need should
be much longer than a standard car.  A 4-wide twenty stud long bus wouldn't
"look' right in its porportions.  I would probably build a small delivery
van
four wide.  Garbage Trucks would probably fall into the six-wide catagory,
as with
semi-trucks and trailers.  Most construction equipment would also be
sixwide.

My trains are six wide and the above bus looks fine next to them.  I have
been
debating with myself on weather to do four or six wide containers.  Like
others
have side the lego standard is 4 wide, but I have the luxury(1) of not
owning
any set with containers so there are no compatability issues on my layout.

Also I was wondering about tire size. The bus looks like it has "classic medium
sized" wheels the ones with a technic/expert hub and axel (anyone still use the
"Expert" tag?). I haven't walked by a bus (or truck recently) but do you think
those wheels are more approriate, size wise, than the newer wider truck wheels
[1], or is it just that they more convenient since they are only 1 stud wide as
opposed to the 1.5--2 stud wide truck wheels

I used the newer wide wheels, since i don't have a large supply of the
older
wheels.  THe wide ones made construction of the interior steps a little
more
difficult, the narrow ones would have allowed for a more realistic door.

-chris

1- i don't think 'luxury' is the right word here....