 Town / 7426
Re: Dial 'M' for Muppet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 00:49:41 GMT

In lugnet.town, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Only in the USA then, in the Netherlands he's still appearing almost every
night

Since Jim Henson actually did the voice for Kermit in the original American
version, replacing him with a new voice talent would have probably felt like
bringing in a new actor for Mr. Hooper when Will Lee died.  They do still show
old clips with Henson's original work, and (according to the IMDB) they did
actually air one new clip with Steve Whitmore (who took over Ernie's voice)
portraying Kermit.  Aside from that, no new Kermit scenes are reported to have
been filmed for use in the original Sesame Street.  Now, I know there are a lot
of foreign spin-offs that are produced in the local languages, so I'd expect
that Kermit would be voiced by someone from the local cast, and wouldn't
necessarily be affected by the decision to retire him from the American version.