 Town / 6405
Re: BFD Engine 1 Gets Super-Sized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:48:52 GMT

In lugnet.town, Allan Bedford wrote:
I had the same sort of 'inspired' moment with the 1x4 arch brick.  I realized
they were almost exactly right for the small wheels on the 2x2 plates and I knew
I wanted to do more than just one truck.  My plan is to do a whole series of
4-wide apparatus.  I have three done so far (instructions for all, renders for a
one) but have plans for several more.

Seeing a single part that inspires an entire model is one of the joys of Lego
IMHO.

I like 4-wide since it reminds me of the old pre-minifig style vehicles of my
childhood sets.  But with some of the new parts available today, you can add a
lot more detail and yet still stay at a very small scale.

I do want to try my hand at 6 wide someday.  For now, I'm happy working smaller
though.

That's how I got started :-)

I borrowed the lighting code from Bram Lambrecht.  It can be found in the middle
of this post: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=98

That may be the sort of thing I was looking for.  I'll give it a try, thanks!  I
was sent some lighting tips by another builder but haven't been able to recreate
the results I want.  :(

Trust me, that code is easy to use...just replace the three lights in your POV
file with it and render.

The camera setting is one I either developed or borrowed (can't remember which)
three or four years ago.  I paste it into the POV file and use the translate and
rotate command to adjust the position of the model, as I understand those MUCH
better than I understand camera positioning.

I'm confused.  You adjust the camera positioning?  Or the light positioning? :)

Neither.  I'll post a reply to your thread in lugnet.cad.ray with more detail,
but I leave the camera and lights in place and move the model around.

I find both baffling.  Just when I think I understand it, I try a setup and it
turns out to be an ugly mess.

Been there, done that.  That's what the "320 x 240, No AA" render setting is for
:-)

Later,
Will

Bricksburg Fire Department: http://www.bricksburg.org