 Town / 6396
Re: BFD Engine 1 Gets Super-Sized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:57:01 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Will Hess wrote:
I've finally taken the plunge and made my first sixby fire truck.  Please have a
look and let me know what you think.

BFD Engine 1
http://www.bricksburg.org/E1.htm

Later,
Will

Bricksburg Fire Department: http://www.bricksburg.org
GoB Bricksburg Depot: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=willhess

Hello Will,

There are three things I really like about this model:

1)  The overall design is very clean and well thought-out.

2)  The deck gun!  I love the styling of this.  I'm planning on using the chrome
version of the light saber hilt as air horns on some of my future engines.  But
I had never thought of it as part of the deck gun.

3)  The beautiful renders of the model.  For those of us who are attempting (but
failing) to produce exactly that type of render, I'm wondering if you'd consider
sharing the lighting (and other settings) technique that you used to get those
pictures.  I keep trying to produce that nice 'catalog' style picture, with no
floor, no background, but shadows on the engine itself and I just can't seem to
get it to come out as clean as yours.  Care to help us understand the process
better?

I was curious about the shutter-style doors on the side of the engine. Are they
based on the design of a real type of door?  (in which case, ignore my comment
entirely) I was wondering if you ever considered using the 1x2 bricks with the
horizontal ridges on one side and vertical on the other.  I'm fond of these for
the way in which they look like the roll-up doors on the sides of apparatus.

Overall though, a very nicely executed model.  Did you enjoy working in 6-wide?
I noticed your Brickshelf folder also had 4-wide apparatus.  Do you have a
preference?

Best regards,
Allan B.