 Town / 6399
Re: BFD Engine 1 Gets Super-Sized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:41:45 GMT

In lugnet.town, Allan Bedford wrote:
There are three things I really like about this model:

Thanks for the kind words Allan.  I'll address your comments and questions
below.

1)  The overall design is very clean and well thought-out.

It should be :-)  I've been tinkering with it for the better part of a year!

2)  The deck gun!  I love the styling of this.  I'm planning on using the chrome
version of the light saber hilt as air horns on some of my future engines.  But
I had never thought of it as part of the deck gun.

As soon as I saw this part I thought that it would make a good nozzle for the
end of a hose or monitor.  I tried to incorporate it into some of my four-wide
designs but it never looked right.  You might say that that lone part is
responsible for my move to six-wide apparatus.

3)  The beautiful renders of the model.  For those of us who are attempting (but
failing) to produce exactly that type of render, I'm wondering if you'd consider
sharing the lighting (and other settings) technique that you used to get those
pictures.  I keep trying to produce that nice 'catalog' style picture, with no
floor, no background, but shadows on the engine itself and I just can't seem to
get it to come out as clean as yours.  Care to help us understand the process
better?

I borrowed the lighting code from Bram Lambrecht.  It can be found in the middle
of this post: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=98

The camera setting is one I either developed or borrowed (can't remember which)
three or four years ago.  I paste it into the POV file and use the translate and
rotate command to adjust the position of the model, as I understand those MUCH
better than I understand camera positioning.

I was curious about the shutter-style doors on the side of the engine. Are they
based on the design of a real type of door?  (in which case, ignore my comment
entirely) I was wondering if you ever considered using the 1x2 bricks with the
horizontal ridges on one side and vertical on the other.  I'm fond of these for
the way in which they look like the roll-up doors on the sides of apparatus.

One of the local pumpers has flip-up compartment doors.  I like that design as
it offers some protection to the equipment and firefighters when it's raining or
snowing.  My Rescue 1 (http://www.bricksburg.org/R1.htm) uses the corrugated
bricks as roll-up doors, and I expect to use that technique a time or two when I
super-size my other apparatus.

Overall though, a very nicely executed model.  Did you enjoy working in 6-wide?
I noticed your Brickshelf folder also had 4-wide apparatus.  Do you have a
preference?

I like six-wide so much that I'm planning to super-size my remaining apparatus
as I have the time and inspiration.  How's that for an answer?  :-)

Will

Bricksburg Fire Department: http://www.bricksburg.org
GoB Bricksburg Depot: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=willhess