 Town / 6401
Re: BFD Engine 1 Gets Super-Sized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:05:24 GMT

In lugnet.town, Will Hess wrote:
In lugnet.town, Allan Bedford wrote:
I was curious about the shutter-style doors on the side of the engine. Are they
based on the design of a real type of door?  (in which case, ignore my comment
entirely) I was wondering if you ever considered using the 1x2 bricks with the
horizontal ridges on one side and vertical on the other.  I'm fond of these for
the way in which they look like the roll-up doors on the sides of apparatus.

After I wrote this I thought that even though we don't see them open in your
render, it's likely that you used that type of door for it's funtional value,
rather than it's exact appearance.  Is that a fair statement?  :)

As a matter of fact, they're entirely cosmetic

See, even when I'm wrong... I'm wrong.  ;)

since I use up the potential
storage space to produce a half-stud inset.  Making them functional wouldn't be
too hard though.

I used the 1/2 stud inset on my Pumper #3 recently, to allow for the rigid hoses
and the extension ladder:

Everything from the back of the cab to the very end of the truck is inset, with
the exception of the rear fenders.

It's not quite the right proportions, but it's the general feeling of the engine
I'm going for, not the nitty gritty details.  :)

Regards,
Allan B.