 Town / 6402
Re: BFD Engine 1 Gets Super-Sized
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 01:14:40 GMT

In lugnet.town, Will Hess wrote:
In lugnet.town, Allan Bedford wrote:
There are three things I really like about this model:

Thanks for the kind words Allan.  I'll address your comments and questions
below.

1)  The overall design is very clean and well thought-out.

It should be :-)  I've been tinkering with it for the better part of a year!

And the effort shows.  But goodness gravey man... a whole year?  Time for a
coffee break.  ;)

2)  The deck gun!  I love the styling of this.  I'm planning on using the chrome
version of the light saber hilt as air horns on some of my future engines.  But
I had never thought of it as part of the deck gun.

As soon as I saw this part I thought that it would make a good nozzle for the
end of a hose or monitor.  I tried to incorporate it into some of my four-wide
designs but it never looked right.  You might say that that lone part is
responsible for my move to six-wide apparatus.

I had the same sort of 'inspired' moment with the 1x4 arch brick.  I realized
they were almost exactly right for the small wheels on the 2x2 plates and I knew
I wanted to do more than just one truck.  My plan is to do a whole series of
4-wide apparatus.  I have three done so far (instructions for all, renders for a
one) but have plans for several more.

I like 4-wide since it reminds me of the old pre-minifig style vehicles of my
childhood sets.  But with some of the new parts available today, you can add a
lot more detail and yet still stay at a very small scale.

I do want to try my hand at 6 wide someday.  For now, I'm happy working smaller
though.

3)  The beautiful renders of the model.  For those of us who are attempting (but
failing) to produce exactly that type of render, I'm wondering if you'd consider
sharing the lighting (and other settings) technique that you used to get those
pictures.  I keep trying to produce that nice 'catalog' style picture, with no
floor, no background, but shadows on the engine itself and I just can't seem to
get it to come out as clean as yours.  Care to help us understand the process
better?

I borrowed the lighting code from Bram Lambrecht.  It can be found in the middle
of this post: http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=98

That may be the sort of thing I was looking for.  I'll give it a try, thanks!  I
was sent some lighting tips by another builder but haven't been able to recreate
the results I want.  :(

The camera setting is one I either developed or borrowed (can't remember which)
three or four years ago.  I paste it into the POV file and use the translate and
rotate command to adjust the position of the model, as I understand those MUCH
better than I understand camera positioning.

I'm confused.  You adjust the camera positioning?  Or the light positioning? :)

I find both baffling.  Just when I think I understand it, I try a setup and it
turns out to be an ugly mess.

Best regards,
Allan B.