 Town / 299
Re: I´d like to see some house designs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 00:36:53 GMT

In lugnet.town, Tobias Möller writes:
´My current project is a town, but I ahve one problem:

I don´t know how to design the houses for my minifigs! Not offices or
skyscrapers, but their homes. Do you use 3 or 4 walls in them? 1 or 2 stud
thick wall? I would like to see some pictures of houses to get some
inspiration.

Thanks
--Tobias

   I built a big house a year ago, but with weird colors. I have some
pictures, if you want them, e-mail me and I'll send them.
   About the wall question, there are a few ways to go:
   a) build a three wall house, i.e. leave an open space in the back. (1)

   b) build a revolving wall or an open-up house. This can be done easily with
hinges (the 2x2/1x4 interchanging type) or technic beams, but this might be
hard when you put houses together. I never tried putting houses in a real
town, I used to build only one house at a time...

   c) Constructing a removable roof - easy to do with a few tiles and roof
pieces. (Or no roof at all.)

   d) If you don't like the three wall concept, you could build an independent
wall, and put a few tiles on the baseplate, then you can remove the wall.

I can't think of other ways that let you move things around in the interior.
Of course, if you don't want that, you can build a normal house and not touch
it again...

Concerning stud width, it varies - if you want small houses, a 2-stud wall
would be a waste of space; but if you don't have enough 1xSomething bricks,
you can use 2-stud width. For my big house, I used 2-stud walls for the
exterior walls and 1-stud for interior rooms.

Good luck with your town, send me some pics!

-Shiri

(1) Personally I don't like this method.