 Town / 2418
Re: Town Building Contest: Voting now open - Shades of Florida?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:19:34 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Kevin Wilson writes:

The voting engine I used prevents double voting, according to the FAQ... but
no-one here would do that anyway, would they? I thought not :-)

A procedural suggestion (and a suggestion only) to prevent another 2000
Florida. Since the voting rules were not stated early on, and it's only day
one of a 10 day voting period, I think it would be "OK" to start over again
on Monday, and to add new rules that take effect then  (and I'm not saying
this because I'm not winning any categories - I just think it would make
everyone feel more confident in the process).

The way to ensure that nobody votes twice is to make sure everyone
"registers" before they vote. When someone votes, cross their name off the
registration list. You can then verify that no one voted twice, or that
ineligible people (such as the often mentioned dead people voting in US
elections) didn't vote.

The problem here is that determination of eligibility, and the actual
registration, needs to happen before the election. What is the equivalent
here? I suggest this:

ELIGIBILITY/REGISTRATION
1) Anyone who entered a model
2) Anyone who is a registered member of LUGNET (as of 02/17/01). See VARIANT
for a modification of this.
3) Anyone who has a Brickshelf account (as of 02/17/01) There should be a
cutoff date to prevent people from creating multiple Brickshelf accounts.
You can verify the cutoff date by denying anyone with an account # > xxxxx
(where xxxxx is today's number of users)

If you entered a model, are a registered member of LUGNET, and have a
Brickshelf Account, you still only get ONE vote.

VERIFICATION/PROOF OF IDENTITY
1) If you entered a model, Kevin should already have your e-mail address
2) Only LUGNET members can post notes
3) Only Brickshelf members can post pictures

HOW TO VOTE
1) Signal your "intent to vote", and "cross your name off the list"
(indicating that you have already voted) by doing one of the following:
  a) Post a note to the lugnet.town newsgroup saying you will be voting, and
add your e-mail address as a unique identifier. (Kevin could start a thread
for people to reply to)
  b) Post an image to Brickshelf with the same information.
2) Vote by sending an e-mail to Kevin with your choices, and a hyperlink to
where you signalled your "intent to vote" (The only exception to the
hyperlink are those entrants who do not have either a LUGNET or Brickshelf
account). To help him out, put all your votes in one e-mail. No verified
hyperlink means your vote is thrown out.

Kevin can then cross-reference the "registration list" with those who
"signalled their intent to vote" with those that "actually voted by sending
the e-mail"

PROS:
1) Voter verification prevents ballot stuffing by spoofing IP addresses
2) Voter verification prevents ballot stuffing by sending multiple e-mails
through one of the free services like hotmail (and even the @home service I
pay for allows multiple e-mail accounts)
3) More confidence in the outcome
4) Limits voting only to "verified contributing community members" (but see
CON #2 below)

CONS:
1) Much, much (much) more work for Kevin Wilson - He might start looking on
the Florida chad counters with envy.
2) Prevents people who have not already registered with LUGNET or BRICKSHELF
from voting (unless you entered the contest with a model). "Lurkers" would
not be able to participate, so that might put an elitist/("snobby") tint to
the contest.
3) Non-LUGNET members would not be able to comment on this process.
4) Prevents spouses, family, friends, etc. from voting

VARIANT:
Allow lurkers to join LUGNET and vote, as long as they do it before the
voting deadline. This will encourage lurkers to join, and the donation fee
should help prevent ballot stuffing. (Of it they do "stuff the vote" this
way, LUGNET is literally richer because of it)

I can think of very simple ways to spoof many of the voting systems I've
seen. It would be relatively difficult (although not impossible) to spoof
this one. I appreciate Kevin's willingness to use the "honor system" - since
that is very indicative of the spirit of this community. However, a couple
steps could be taken to preserve the integrity of the system while
maintaining some ease of use.

Comments, anyone? I'm very seriously thinking about running a Lego contest
(likely Train) in the near future, and these are the voting rules I have
been toying with. Even if they don't apply to this contest, your feedback,
(and living through this experience) will help me in designing it.Please let
me know.

One last thing. This is all for fun, but I know the entrants have spent a
lot of time on their models, and "win" or not, I think we would all like to
know they were fairly considered. (Thanks again, Kevin, for agreeing to host
the contest - I hope this experience doesn't scare you off from doing it
again next year)

Thanks!

Mark Chan