 Town / 2005
  Residential and Commercial balance?

This question goes out to all members with lego cities. Do you have a proportionate amout of living space (ie. apartments, houses) to support the other buildings you have? For instance, can all your minifigs citizens call a place home? And do you (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) When I get around to making town things I go by the proprtion 3 to 5 for every 3 houses, I have 5 commercial/Industriel. That is assuming people have to drive to work from other cities in normal cases. Rick (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) Well, most industries are far larger than houses and employ more people than live in a typical house. So you can argue that there ought to be a lot more houses (even factoring out apartments). But houses by the millions are boring, so if you (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) I agree. However, you can sometimes get around the skew by building an interesting apartment complex in your city layout, or have taller buildings with living space on top of street level stores. -Dave www.bricktannia.com (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

I don't bother with trying to realistically zone my cities. It turns out that because of their larger size, commercial buildings offer much more architectural freedom, so I usually end up with about 90% commercial! Dave Amos <davea21@rocketmail.com> (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) I tend to look for variety in my Town. With too many houses, there is no room left over for other types of structures, and as Larry said, houses tend to be boring (Just paraphrasing ;-) ) Personally, I have about 10 houses of different styles (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

Dave & All, (...) the (...) call (...) number (...) Well, I know I am guilty of it. I have only one or two houses in my now defunct town, and I have a large number of police, but I can let that drift simply becuase of the way TLC markets products. I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) Yes. All of my people live at the mall. Those that aren't in jail, at least. (Probably for shoplifting.) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

Dave: (...) I can't say I have a LEGO city as such. It is more like a few buildings placed here and there, but I will answer anyway. (...) Hmmm??? Living space (counting sleeping places): 4 - (URL) 2 - (URL) 6 - Another one of Katrine's houses 2 - (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) <snipped> I tend just to model small sections of cities or towns, so I can get away with the majority of the housing being off the edge of the layout. My current project is a 128x256 stud layout featuring a small city block. Most of the (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) My town has 8 residential spaces (two houses, 2 condos, 3 apartments in one building, and a apartment-over-the-store arrangement. But the 8 spaces only house 11 figs, so I use the train station as an access point for a slew of commuters to (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

Hi Dave, Having built around 4 large towns now i still have not got the right amount of residential buildings for my minifigs. I have lots of buildings but very few houses. Next project may have a apartment tower capable of housing several hundred (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) I have only a small handfull of houses, i think that Commercial buildings are more interesting, but if i had more space i defently would venture into houses, condos, town houses, and apartments in a larger number. Right now only around 20 of (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

I have no balance as to residential vs. commercial, unless you include my dormitory at the University. As a matter of fact, it was not until my city was thirteen years old that a house was placed in the city. Now I have some townhouses and a couple (...) (23 years ago, 15-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)

  Re: Residential and Commercial balance?

(...) BM: I think if I did this, I would have to have a football stadium size layout of town with lots of residential areas For instance, can all your minifigs citizens call (...) BM: I think this is basically the same question as the above (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jan-01, to lugnet.town)