 Technic / Bionicle / 2317
Re: Bulk Bionicle tubs at TRU
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic.bionicle, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:39:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic.bionicle, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   A couple of days ago, a BZPower reporter (Michael) ran across a very interesting new product at Toys R Us in Virginia. The large tub of assorted Bionicle pieces in many colors contained 702 pieces, and we’re not talking about little 2x rod connectors or bushings - these are large pieces, including masks, Bohrok bodies, Bohrok-Kal hand shields, and other unique Bionicle pieces. A couple of Star Wars-specific pieces snuck in as well. It sells for $20 in the US, and is part number 8711. The set is apparently a TRU exclusive and won’t be available at S@H or LEGO Brand stores, according to LEGO customer service.

Quick math will show that this is less than 3 cents per piece. All reports indicate the tubs sell out within hours of being put on shelves.

There are pictures and some more info here:
http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=1741
http://www.bzpower.com/story.php?ID=1744

I don’t know if this presages a greater emphasis on bulk packs or what. Coming on the heels of the old gray bulk packs from S@H, it’s definitely a welcome addition. The cynical among us might shrug it off as LEGO dumping extra pieces from sets they’re no longer making (which could very well be true), but the optimist in me likes to think this could become a regular thing. Tubs have been reported in Europe as well as the US.

At any rate, I’m haunting my TRU daily and will pick up at least two. The wide variety of usable parts will augment my already substantial collection nicely. With luck, this type of offering won’t be limited to Bionicle.

Kelly
BZPower.com

My theory is this. TRU maybe had a lot of overstock of older Bionicle sets. I bet they called Lego and said they didn’t want to buy more if they had all this overstock. So they probably worked out a way to repackage the sets into this huge tub. Just a wild guess thoa.

-Alfred