 Technic / 9023
Re: My neverending truck-project...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:37:16 GMT

hi Oyvind
it's always attract to build separate parts and then joint them together
but IMO... let's say when i built acceptable part i try to build it in
not join but build in
it confuses me sometimes because i have to rebuild big part of model very
often
that is why it's really cool to have as many bricks as possible
to be able to build 2 versions of model at one time :)))
it gives me an ability to look at old version and eventually return to it
when i was building my car seat i had 3 of them in different "evolution
states"

try to make a suspension in non standard way
i mean try to place shock-absorbers parallel to the chassi
try to move differentials up or forward/backward

you had used so big wheels so you have to be able to put everything inside
whatever it is

regards
pixel

"Øyvind Steinnes" <senniets@online.no> wrote in message

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.modelteam, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
I'm a bit stuck now in this project. I now thinking of going back to • start
and try again with a more simply construction. Here can you see how far • I
have got until now:

My advice: ask Jennifer Clark, aka "Master of fitting maximum • functionality
into small spaces" 8?)
ROSCO

Jennifer Clark webpages was the one of the sources that gave med the ideas
for this project. And I thougt then that I got do it too... but I may be
wrong :)

I think I have done too much shrinking of the mechanism, and put to much
effort in making the diffrential and suspension as narrow as possible. So
now I'm a bit stuck with a very compact design were nothing can penetrate.
Not even a shaft from the motor to the tipper lifting mechanism, and its
hard to make it smaller to get some room for other technicaly nifty • gadgets.

But I have seen a few things now, that gave me some ideas. I think I have • to
make the body/chassis a bit wider, so I can put the motors inside the
chassis.
It is a bit hard to take photos of this chassis, first of all because it • so
compact and second because it is black. It is hard to see what parts go
where in the photos now.

What I need now is some advice:
Is it best to let the sub-parts of the car be rigid in them self so you • can
make an lighter chassis. Or is it better to make small an light sub-parts
and make an stronger chassis so when all parts are together it is rigid
enough ?
Like my truck; its made of several sub-parts;
differential+steering+suspension in front is one sub-part,
diffrential+suspension back is two other sub-parts and the tipper and the
crane is other sub-parts.
Maybe its wrong to start with these sub-parts at all?

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix