 Technic / 9003
Re: My neverending truck-project...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 07:11:48 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
Aaaargh!!  Just had to get it out!   :)
I'm a bit stuck now in this project. I now thinking of going back to start
and try again with a more simply construction. Here can you see how far I
have got until now:

(a deeplink preview until moderation:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Phoenix/Truck-Project/15_chassis_v2.jpg )

My problem is as follows:
Because I have compressed the space between the wheels, but still have
independent suspension and drive on each wheel and diffrential, all that
techno-stuff has to be placed somplace else, and it has gone outward and
upwards in the midle of the car. So now there is less space there. Can't
even find space to put the motors and thats has frustrating me for the last
month...

What about using the space in the cab?

But now... what now? How do I proseed now? Should I try to go on? Maybe
build a new chassis so I can get more room in there for motors?

This is where my building problem is, I get tired of the model, loose my
inspiration etc.. I hope this will change when I grow up, at least I tell
myself so :)

My collection has been too small to build other things while I let the "main
project" rest and mature in my mind, but as the collection has been growing so
has my projects. They always tend to consume the major part of ones collection,
it's going to be interesting if that has not changed in a few years when I have
accumulated even more brick :)

This is why I want to build in a smaller scale, but I like things big, use the
biggest tires, or all the conveyor links etc..

However I see light at the horizon as I more and more build small gadgets of
bigger machinery and then let then rest for months until I get back and work a
little more, sometimes it's just a few parts.

The main thing with building great models alá Jennifer Clark and Dennis Bosman
(to mention a few, I wont list you all *cough TJ* 'cause I will forget someone
*cough Rosco*) is to go back and rework certain parts - I think. In Dennis case
there is many years of experience but I belive also many iterations before the
model is finnished. I'm also sure Jennifer takes a lot of time to finnish her
models.

When I first started building I was so eager to get the things OnLine and show
them to everybody, but at the same time I was thinking about new MOC's when I
was half-way in the current one. I always rushed things in the end to get it
done. I somewhat regret that today, but I have had fun and that's all that
counts when building with LEGO, it's still a toy for me in the end of the day.

To stop rambling and get back to the topic, my advise is to let things cool
down, do something else for a while, or if the inspiration is still there, try
to rework certain parts of the model while leaving what you got assembled (if
you have the parts to do so).

My work in progress started several months ago, I made four identical wheel
assemblies and then nothing more. When I started with that project again this
weekend I looked at what I had done so far and realized it could be done in a
better way, so I tore one of them and rebuilt it. Then, when I was happy. I
rebuilt another of the assemblies this time with colors in mind, as I did so I
found more ways of improving the design. I now had three versions of the same
thing. I took a brake for an hour or so and when I got back I realized I could
improve it even further and made a fourth version. I settled for the fourth
version and remade the three others to that standard. I'm amazed on how much
difference there was between the first and last versions. And I'm sure it could
have been developed even further. Point is, make iterations until you're happy.
Then step back and just look at it, try to spot weak points and improve on
those. Always strive for perfection :)

I've been a little lazy and not wanting to remake everything, but it seems I'm
always glad I did in the end.

One thing to remember is that some things are impossible to achieve using LEGO
as a medium so be prepared to make sacrifices, the pneumatics have a short
stroke, the motors are bulky and weak etc. etc..

My god, is this maturing?

Thanks for letting me ramble like this, I personally have learnt a lot from
writing this, I hope it will also help you!

Well at least I found an easy way to construct the lifting mechanism for the
tipper. Thanks to Andrea Donadello for presenting that simple and easy
solution.

Another benefit from letting things rest, inspiration strucks at any time!

"If at first you don't succeed, don't go parachuting"!

Best regards,
/Tobbe
http://www.lotek.nu
(remove SPAM when e-mailing)