 Technic / 9010
Re: My neverending truck-project...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:17:07 GMT

"Ross Crawford" <rcrawford@csi.com> wrote in message
news:H9CGnn.4A9@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.modelteam, Øyvind Steinnes writes:
I'm a bit stuck now in this project. I now thinking of going back to • start
and try again with a more simply construction. Here can you see how far I
have got until now:

My advice: ask Jennifer Clark, aka "Master of fitting maximum • functionality
into small spaces" 8?)
ROSCO

Jennifer Clark webpages was the one of the sources that gave med the ideas
for this project. And I thougt then that I got do it too... but I may be
wrong :)

I think I have done too much shrinking of the mechanism, and put to much
effort in making the diffrential and suspension as narrow as possible. So
now I'm a bit stuck with a very compact design were nothing can penetrate.
Not even a shaft from the motor to the tipper lifting mechanism, and its
hard to make it smaller to get some room for other technicaly nifty gadgets.

But I have seen a few things now, that gave me some ideas. I think I have to
make the body/chassis a bit wider, so I can put the motors inside the
chassis.
It is a bit hard to take photos of this chassis, first of all because it so
compact and second because it is black. It is hard to see what parts go
where in the photos now.

What I need now is some advice:
Is it best to let the sub-parts of the car be rigid in them self so you can
make an lighter chassis. Or is it better to make small an light sub-parts
and make an stronger chassis so when all parts are together it is rigid
enough ?
Like my truck; its made of several sub-parts;
differential+steering+suspension in front is one sub-part,
diffrential+suspension back is two other sub-parts and the tipper and the
crane is other sub-parts.
Maybe its wrong to start with these sub-parts at all?

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix