 Technic / 875
Re: Droids (8000, 8001, 8002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:51:47 GMT

I've built an entire car chassis out of cross axles and connectors,
so I'm absolutely certain that I can build one out of non-studded
beams.

Many of the chassis' used in traditional Technic sets get their
strength through connecting beams together with the black connector
pins, not by using the studs on the beams.  I agree that by using the studs,
you can make very sturdy constructions.  In particular, you
can stack beams together, with two rows of plates in between and then
connect another beam perpendicular to them (again using connector
pins).  But you can get the same kind of rigidity using the new
angled Technic beams (and half beams).

"Eelco Kooiker" <eelco@kooiker.demon.nl> wrote in message
Look at the new 2000 F1-car! I think it's impossible to build a • car-chassis
without studded beams. It has to be strong enough so it will not bend.

One thing did scare me while building these sets, however.  There are
no studded bricks at all!  In fact, a lot of the new Technic sets in the
catalog show few or no traditional Technic beams.  I like these new • "Sci-fi"
pieces, but I think they can best be used with the old pieces...not • instead of
them.  The new pieces are a novelty and that novelty will eventually wear
off.  For something like these droids they were probably the best choice, • but
even the cars no longer have beams.  We've heard a lot about the "Death • of the
studded brick," and I'd like to hear Lego's reaction.  I think Lego has • shown
that they are an excellent company to deal with.  Perhaps we should write • a
petition to show Lego the huge following the traditional pieces have.