 Technic / 834
833  |  835
Subject:
Droids (8000, 8001, 8002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:14:17 GMT

I just got the three droids in the mail on Thursday (Let's hear it for
Shop at Home!) and all I can say is, "Wow!"  Lego did a spectacular job on
these three sets.  The Pit Droid, though simple, is just neat.  The Battle
Droid can best be described as clever (especially the gun thing).  The
Destroyer is absolutely incredible.  It is one of the best purely mechanical
sets I've seen come out of Lego.  Someone said that they eventually got bored
rolling it across a table.  How?  It's just so cool to watch.

One thing did scare me while building these sets, however.  There are
no studded bricks at all!  In fact, a lot of the new Technic sets in the
catalog show few or no traditional Technic beams.  I like these new "Sci-fi"
pieces, but I think they can best be used with the old pieces...not instead of
them.  The new pieces are a novelty and that novelty will eventually wear
off.  For something like these droids they were probably the best choice, but
even the cars no longer have beams.  We've heard a lot about the "Death of the
studded brick," and I'd like to hear Lego's reaction.  I think Lego has shown
that they are an excellent company to deal with.  Perhaps we should write a
petition to show Lego the huge following the traditional pieces have.