 Technic / 7906
Re: 8448 worth it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 12:38:51 GMT

If you're going to use it, why bother with MISB? You'd only pay collector's
value....
I do own the Space shuttle. It's one of the first I got after the Dark Ages
and it's one of the best Technic sets ever. It comes with two motors,
fiber-optics, all the parts you need to put a gear box in a car, and the
design is just incredible. Everything works; landing gear, flaps, doors,
arm, satellite....

When it comes to the cars, I own 8860, 8880, 8448 and 8458, I don't have
8466. I don't think I will buy it untill the price drops. The only reason
I'd buy it would be the tyres. I'm not impressed with the color, I have more
clear cylinder blocks than I'll ever use, and from what I've heard the
steering is not that great. Too much 'play' on all the joints. The only
thing it offers that 8448 doesn't is the drive on the front wheels. So going
the other way: if you have the 8466 the only thing 8448 offers that you
don't already have is.... road-tyres, red panels, and ...errr............
more parts?
The Silver Champ looks good, but is technically boring. The suspension looks
good, but the parts are hard to use in any other car. It does have two
damped pneumatic springs though, not one. But good old 8860 is more
interesting: gearbox, adjustable seats, an engine you can build, rather than
click together...
If you can get an 8448 reduced it'll be worth it. Otherwise, there are more
interesting sets to get (like one with pneumatics...)

Duq

"Jake Rentar" <B2FUTR2@aol.com> wrote in message
Everyone seems to enjoy the shuttle and it looks like a well-rounded set
with nice electric and fiber optics.  What's the cheapest I could probably
ever find an 8480 MISB...?

In lugnet.technic, Luke Ma writes:
Jake,
   No prob.  Glad I coule help.  You're probably not going to find the • 8448
for $75 though...but here's to hoping that you do.
   I don't have the silver champion but I've read quite a bit about it • and
checked the inventory and all that.  Your view of it seems pretty • popular.
It obviously is not 4wd.  It has one damped pneumatic element (canopy • above
the engine opens up) but then again, the 8448 has a similar design for • its
racer alternate model.  One thing that the 8458 does have that I'm
interested in is a true wishbone suspension system.  However, it's not
really practical from a lego construction standpoint and when I say
interested, I mostly just want to look at it/play with it and then be • done
with it.  And $170 is really way to much...for that amount of money, go • Buy
It Now an 8480, get two styling packs from S@H and try to build an F1
yourself with your 8466 parts :)  I've read somewhere that for the price • of
an 8458, you might as well just get another 8448 and a couple of styling
packs...did I mention the 8458 has a two-speed transmission?  Yeah..it's • got
a v10 though.  Whoopdy ;)

Hope you get your $75 8448 :),
Luke