 Technic / 7880
Re: 8448 worth it?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 3 Aug 2002 16:54:09 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Luke Ma writes:
Jake,
   No prob.  Glad I coule help.  You're probably not going to find the 8448
for $75 though...but here's to hoping that you do.
   I don't have the silver champion but I've read quite a bit about it and
checked the inventory and all that.  Your view of it seems pretty popular.
It obviously is not 4wd.  It has one damped pneumatic element (canopy above
the engine opens up) but then again, the 8448 has a similar design for its
racer alternate model.  One thing that the 8458 does have that I'm
interested in is a true wishbone suspension system.  However, it's not
really practical from a lego construction standpoint and when I say
interested, I mostly just want to look at it/play with it and then be done
with it.  And $170 is really way to much...for that amount of money, go Buy
It Now an 8480, get two styling packs from S@H and try to build an F1
yourself with your 8466 parts :)  I've read somewhere that for the price of
an 8458, you might as well just get another 8448 and a couple of styling
packs...did I mention the 8458 has a two-speed transmission?  Yeah..it's got
a v10 though.  Whoopdy ;)

Hope you get your $75 8448 :),
Luke

Snip...

Just a few comments about the Silver Champion.  There is no transmission.
The V10 engine drives the rear differential, and then out to the wheels
through universal joints.  I believe LEGO designed the suspension arms
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/suspen/susp_3.php (9 long strut)
and 9-long tie-rod links
http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/suspen/susp_4.php
especially for the silver champion.  The suspension, like Luke said, is a
true double-wishbone setup, which is basically longer and a little more
complex than the normal 8448/8466/8880 suspension.  Plus it looks realistic
for a Formula 1 car.  The suspension is done by the 9 long tie-rod links,
which actuate yellow bell-cranks, than push on the yellow springs.  It's
kinda hard to describe in words though... I'm sure you can find some pics of
it on the web.  But basically, the suspension functions exactly like most
Formula 1 and Indycars.

It's a really nice looking model, and is 65cm long (about 26"), which I
think is longer than the supercars.  And the suspension elements (one of the
reasons I bought it) are very hard to find.  You could of course buy a few
Red Barons to get them, as long as you don't mind brown and red.  $170 is a
bit too much (I got mine for about $130) though.  I think you can find them
on eBay cheaper now.  Also, the wheel hubs are the same ones as the 8466,
but use smaller diameter slick tires. I have the 8448, 8458, and 8466, and
I'm hard-pressed to decide which ones are my favorites.  They're all really
cool models IMHO.

Hope this helps!

John