 Technic / 6342
Re: 8448 gearing problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:46:51 GMT

"Jennifer Clark" <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote:

Well, I definitely did not have any such problems with my 8448, so my
guess would be that some gear or other is blocked somewhere. Have
another go.

Agreed. I remember my 8448 as being very smooth when it was built, and I was
able to motorise it using the older 9V ungeared motor no problem. If my
memory is correct I geared the motor down by 9:1 before the gearbox, and it
would even start in the higher gears, just as long as it was on vinyl at the
time! I remember being pleasantly surprised by the power of the motor, as
the only previous similar experience I had had was trying to move the 8860
with the old 4.5V motor, which moved like a slug on tranquilisers, as they
say...

I seem to recall that a rug is like kryptonite to the power of a LEGO motor.. and for
this model which I got when I was 11, and have always been very happy with, I solved
the problem of slow motorization using two motors, two 3-stud gears and two very
similar rubber bands.

Two 4.5v motors + the 3stud gears were placed where the yellow exhaust pipes were
located.
From the axles two very similar rubber bands were fitted onto a hub (the type of hub
used for many of the popular Expert Bbuilder sets (predated Technics) like the yellow
forklift, blue go-kart, front wheels of the red tractor..) The hub was fitted to the
end of the pistons.
If the rubber bands were too tight they would rub against each other on the hub, but
still it was a lot better tehn using one motor. And the 3stud geartrain really was a
spacesaver.
If I tried to have the car move on a rug I would deterioate the piston setup which
would get bent slightly out of shape.
The 8860 was the last set my parents gave me and they di not give me the first test
car from 1977 from Expert Builder range. I bought it in 1996 or 1997 from a guy who
was auctioning his away. Many parts were newer and not original to that set so 220$+
postage from US to Europe was a bit overmuch, but I wanted that set so badly. I do
realize that the Expert Builder test car and the 8860 had no special parts except for
the suspension on the latter and the huge wheels (which back then were obtainable in
two-packs as replacements). I kick myself today for not buying replacement two-pack
wheels back then, but that would have cost me my entire allowance to do so.

-breiler