 Technic / 6102
Re: 8448 gearing problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 12:22:27 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
news:qrd3d3k9ttz.fsf@eos.uio.no...
Have you made sure that all axles are loose and turn freely in the
setup?

Yes, but I think I'll take it apart and check again in case something has
moved.

If that doesn't work, you may need to redesign the gear box in order
to properly motorize the car.

The gear box in the 8448 is designed to have the wheels drive the
motor.  If you want the motor to drive the wheels, you'll want to
redesign the gear box so that the fifth gear gives a 1:1 gear ratio,
or something close.  I suspect that the fifth gear on the original
8448 gear box is different, i.e. that it gears the wheel rotation down
before passing it to the piston engine.

Really? When putting the car in first and pushing it forwards (without any
motors attached) the gearbox clicks badly, and does the same if reverse and
pushing it backwards. Running a motor seems to cure about 90% of the
clicking so it seems that the gearbox is designed to be powered to run the
wheels. Hopefully once I've taken apart the gearbox and had a good play I'll
find that a gear or 2 is loose and it'll be easy to fix, but I have a
feeling that the meshing just isn't good enough for the drive system to move
the weight of the car in any gear except first - and the weight of the RCX
with batteries in the boot probably doesn't help either!

Dan