 Technic / 5298
Re: Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:56:01 GMT

I understand totally! The problem you've got is reducing friction. The
un-geared motors are worse, because your speed reduction train will inevitably
have much more friction than the reduction box Lego put in the geared motors. I
ended up also lubricating the reduction train (with margarine!). Connecting so
many together will also introduce a lot more friction, as you'll need a fairly
large number of gears to do it.

Perhaps one motor at each end of an axel. That would make three or
four pairs with less gears.

Something like this:
[extremle quick and dirty pic to show what I mean]

Be sure to connect all the wires correctly so that they actually work
with each other and not against ,)

Connecting something to one of the gears in the picture above would
get a lot of power. I think.

I found that 2 motors from 1 battery box did increase torque, though not by
heaps. But there's nothing stopping you connecting multiple battery boxes in
parallel too - just gotta be careful you always switch them on & off together!

I found during my Hercules building that three oldstyle 9V motors was
all that my powerbox could handle. With four motors it shut down.
Probably due to the thermal switch in the powerbox.

To overcome the danger of switching some powerbox on in the wrong
direction just use a polarity switch :)

/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/