 Technic / 5297
Re: Technic Parallel-Motor Assembly Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 12:44:29 GMT

This is an interesting subject. I have experimented with this myself
to try to increase traction in larger models.

There are a couple of key points;

Try to ensure that you design the "combiner" to use a minimum
number of gears and axles, otherwise the gain obtained by adding
a second motor will be lost in the increased friction.

Try to "match" the motors. If one motor typically runs faster than
another, you will be wasting electrical power as the faster one
drives the slower one into being a generator. I, personally, have
used the Lego speed computer thing to measure my batch of
motors to create matched sets. Actually, I run them from a
lab power supply set to 9.00 volts and then measure the rpm.
I write the value on the bottom of the motor with a fine indellible
marker. This way I can easily pick match pairs or quads. You
could use a gear train and stopwatch to measure the rpms too!

As a friction saver, in applications using tracks, I sprinkle the
drive motors along the length of the tracks, where ever you'd
normally have an idler wheel. This tends not to add to the total
friction load and provides a "looser" coupling between motors.

As far as power source goes, the RCX outputs are only good for
two motors. And under heavy load, the RCX's over-temperature
trip will occasionally trigger. I have had no trouble running half
a dozen motors from the 6 x AA battery pack.

JB